Medication Compliance Program
Medications are arguably the single most important health care technology to prevent illness, disability, and death in the older population. Of all age groups, older persons with chronic diseases and conditions benefit the most from taking medications, and risk the most from failing to take them properly.
Leading Reasons for Medication Noncompliance
- Forgetfulness/Wasn’t reminded to take medication
- Disbelief that drug is necessary or is helping
- Fear of side effects
- Experiencing actual side effects
- Belief that medication would have a negative impact on performance of daily activities
- Desire to save money
- Felt symptoms had disappeared so drug was no longer necessary
- Confused by instructions
- Overwhelmed by number of drugs prescribed
- Difficulty opening medication container
- Difficulty swallowing medication
The effects of not taking medications can be devastating, causing many unnecessary hospitalizations and also cause other conditions as a result.
How Total Care’s Medication Compliance can Help:
Our staff is trained to work with client-specific medication profiles and ensure that all medication is taken on time and in accordance with physician orders.